Tuesday, December 20, 2005

ANOTHER POST ABOUT THE PATH ON THE OCCASION OF THE NEW YORK TRANSIT WORKERS' STRIKE or DO THE PATH TRAINS HAVE SEAT HEATERS THAT THEY TURN ON ONLY...



IN DIRE TIMES???

I went up to 34th Street---via the PATH, of course---to do some shopping during lunch today. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Journal Square train I caught on the way back to work wasn't very crowded at all. As a matter of fact, there were quite a few seats available. I sat down in the first seat that I spotted.
The seat was warm.
The seat happened to be the warmest seat I've ever sat on. It was verging on hot.
I felt like I was sitting on an electric heating blanket or the door to hell, which in this case was just heavenly (it's been bitterly cold here for the past couple of days).
My first instinct was to get up and look at the seat, which I did. I wanted to make sure that my numb behind (it, like the rest of me, felt frozen) wasn't sitting in a pool of warm liquid (ugh. gross, I know--sorry).
Phew.
The seat was dry.
So, I sat back down and wondered if maybe, just maybe, the previous occupant of the seat had been an extremely corpulent person. Had he or she, without even knowing it, done me the service of providing heat for my tush? And could one person make a seat so hot? Or were the other seats in the car just as nicely heated?
When the woman sitting to my right got up from her seat abruptly (not because I was acting weird or anything! Sheesh! She was on the wrong train!), I moved to her seat and, ding dong, it was as nicely heated as the seat that I had just abandoned. This got me thinking.
Did the PATH have a seat heating system that they didn't usually activate in order to cut costs? Did they kick it into operation today because they wanted to make new and devoted commuters of the disgruntled New Yorkers (actually, they weren't as disgruntled as they could've been. New Yorkers take everything in stride) and they knew that no one could turn down an ass heater during the winter?
I wanted to test my theory. I wanted to reach over and touch the seat that was to the left of the seat that I had first occupied. Would it be warm as well? My hunch was that it would but I wouldn't know until I gave it a touch.
Unfortunately, just as I reached out to touch the seat, this Wall Street, financial type (read: former frat boy type, UGH) took the seat.
I guess we'll never find out whether the PATH system has the capability of heating the frozen behinds of commuters.
I, however, would like to think that it does.

2 comments:

[adventures.in.anonymity] said...

...or maybe everyone sitting on the seats before you had gas.

SabilaK said...

I'd rather stick to my ass-warmer theory.