Tuesday, September 09, 2008

RAMADAN: FASTING AND WHINING

'Tis the season of fasting, kittens, and like most Allah-fearing Muslims on the planet, I've been going sans food and drink from sunrise to sunset for several days now. Since the Islamic calendar is lunar, each year, the month of Ramadan is about ten days earlier than in the previous year. This Ramadan, sunrise and sunset are roughly 13 hours apart. To say that I feel famished and listless these days is a gross understatement. I hate to complain while happily undertaking a God-sanctioned religious duty but, man oh man, one week into it and it already feels like forever. I think most Ramadan observers will agree that while we can go without food during the day, it's the lack of water that gets us in the end. Plus, trying to squeeze a nice, long run in just before or after sunset these days can be either invigorating or muscle-and-bone-achingly exhausting.

Okay, that's it. I think it's probably in my best interest to refrain from whining during this wonderful month. I'll shut up now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol - that was well said - Ali Hasan

See Bee said...

oh i did not now about not drinking water - wow!

Saady said...

You know I envy you. The fact that you actually do what I have been planning on doing for a fortnight (the sunset run during Ramadan)is very inspiring ! ha
Take care. And say hi to the Canadian.