Tuesday, September 23, 2008

MP's Canada

MP and I recently settled into 11 months as a couple together. That we probably wouldn't have met each other had it not been for my pink-and-fabulous-yet-humble blog scares the nerdiness right out of me. I'm still pleasantly surprised by the thought of him and the fact that he is in my life. Where did you come from? I often ask him. The answer, of course, is always the same: Canada.

I've waxed poetic about Canada and Canadians in the past, dear readers, but having recently returned from a vacation in the land of ice hockey, poutine, and nice (yes, I mean the adjective), I'd like to continue waxing poetic.

Firstly, I was practically niced to death by the Canadians. MP's family, his friends, random strangers, storekeepers, waiters, waitresses, airport security, EVERYONE was so nice it hurt (but in a good way). In fact, the only rude person I encountered during the duration of my stay in Canada: the American customs official at the airport in Montreal, who was downright scary.

Canadians, secondly, are a calm and patient people (I suppose that calm and patience are essential ingredients for nice). Example: MP and I are driving up a narrow, one-way Ottowan street, lined with outdoor markets, when, suddenly, a truck in front of us stops in the middle of the street and two guys proceed to unload their market fares. These guys spend a good five minutes unloading and I stop having my "Oh-my-gaw-the-nerve-of-these-guys" moment long enough to listen to something extraordinary: silence from the long line of cars behind us. They're as quiet and as patient as MP is beside me and they seem to have no beef with these dudes holding up traffic. I am shocked.

Ottawa is beautiful. Check out the following pics:






Montreal is beautiful.





I don't think I'll ever tire of a Canadian accent (for the record, Canadian accents vary aboot as much as the American English accent does...I recently met one of MP's friends who hails from Saskatchewan and her "aboots" are "a-boats". Learn how to speak like a Canadian here. To be surrounded by polite aboots was lovely.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not planning on moving to the lovely north* and even though I'm extremely critical of the good, ol' US of A**, I do still love my country and plan on raising a famiy here.*** All that being said, I'm so glad that I've found MP and he's helped me discover Canada.

*I will be revisiting my plans if Palin/McCain dupe my not-always-bright countrymen into voting another Republican adminstration into the White House.

**as all good patriots should be

***see first asterisk

9 comments:

Zany said...

What?! We so don't have an accent. Things you Americans tell yourself to feel all different and special :P.

Terra Shield said...

You do... New Yorkians speak so differently from say, Texans?

Anonymous said...

I say that you leave MP and find another Man. It is MORE than obvious that you aren't too happy with MP because if you were you probably would have married him by now instead of stretching out an unnecessary relationship. You are wasting your time. I say go find a Man that you can love and start a family that you deserve. :)

Good Luck

Cyberfish said...

I've already applied for permanent resident status in Japan. If McCain/Palin manage to win, I might upgrade that to full on citizenship.

Maire said...

anon is joking, right? 11 months is stretching a relationship? are you fucking kidding me? You have to be because no one in their right mind should think 11 months is too long to get to know someone before you commit to being with someone for the rest of your life, right? right? I mean it's the rest of your life!

Anyway sounds like things are good in planet nerd. More power to you, as they say over here. I do like those Canadian myself too!

See Bee said...

I heard Canadians are terrible racist - have you heard such stories too? or did my friend happen to meet a one-off case?

Anonymous said...

Aunty Not So Helpful and NOT a Dictator why do you sound so SERIOUS? Loosen up a little. :)
And don't be so bitter next time.

Anonymous said...

Too me it's stretching it, especially when you have to wear shilwar that makes you itch on Eid. YAY!

Maire said...

sorry anon... my first reaction was 'haha' and then I thought about all those episodes of Dr Phil I've seen with people getting married to each other after 10 seconds and thought the madness was real.

I promise to watch less Dr Phil.