Tuesday, October 04, 2005

REVENGE OF THE NERD'S NERD OF THE DAY: STEPHEN KING



Sure, there were some more obvious choices. We have the nerd for all ages, Albert Einstein, who happens to shares a birthday with me (many, many geniuses are born on March 14). Bill Gates, the richest nerd---um, homo sapien---on the PLANET, may also have been on your list of nerds to kick off our blog. How about uber-nerd, Stephen Hawkings, whose daughter Lucy happens to be a--get this--chic lit author?
However, anyone who knows me knows that Stephen King has always had a special place in my heart. He is my Numero Uno Nerd, THE nerd I looked up to as a little girl, reading books like Needful Things, Cujo, The Shining and Carrie into the early morning (I spent way too many childhood nights in the bathtub with a Stephen King book, from where I'd call out "But I'm constipaaaaated!" to my mom, who demanded that I go to sleep). Not only is he brilliant but he fits the part of nerd perfectly: impossibly thick glasses, a nearly lipless mouth set in a constant smirk and a tall, gangly frame that he hasn't quite grown into. Man, I was the homecoming queen in high school if Stephen King didn't get beat up on a regular basis as a kid.
He reads ALL the time. I just saw him at the Yankees-Red Sox game, reading a freakin' book. It was a lovely sight, in spite of the repulsive and nausea-inducing Sox cap he was wearing. He is the reason I, myself, often read while walking (not the safest habit, I know, but I'd like to point out, for the record that Stephen King was NOT reading when he was run over by that van!).
So, here's to Stephen King, NERD NUMERO UNO!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I be a nerd of the day -- and if not me, then William Faulkner maybe?

SabilaK said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SabilaK said...

Rich! Babe! Of course we're going to have more nerds to come! Between you and me, we know THOUSANDS! Do you think Walt W. is nerdy enough for our blog? How about Neruda (I recall reading somewhere a pretty geeky description of Pablo as a child, so this is a real possibility). And, yes, both you and I shall make appearances because it's my blog and we're pretty big nerds! Send me a pic for a blog TK.
Rich, you'll always be my favorite real life nerd! How is the UK treating you?

Anonymous said...

The UK is great! I had a lecture on Henry James this afternoon...but no one except me really liked James, as it turns out, when we were talking afterwards. Poor Henry James.
I'll have to snap a pic of me someplace British and nerdy.

SabilaK said...

Why don't the bloody Brits like Henry James???

SabilaK said...

Gosh, I miss lectures.

Cyberfish said...

I am sorry to inform you that Bill Gates was exclipsed this year as the riches man on earth. A little off topic, but he was overtaken by the CEO of Ebay

Cyberfish said...

Im sorry, not Ebay....IKEA.

SabilaK said...

Ah, no he wasn't. The Forbes list JUST came out and he's still on top of the heap.

SabilaK said...

IKEA's CEO being the richest man on the planet is a wicked rumor that was started in Europe. I swear! I heard that on the BBC NEWS (the fact that it's a rumor).

SabilaK said...

Perhaps Rich could confirm that rumor rumor for us, with him being in Europe now, and all.
Cyberfish, ARE YOU EUROPEAN?

Cyberfish said...

I swear I heard that announced on the news earlier this year. They cited reasons specifically, Bill had to buy back a bunch of his stock etc. But I'll take Forbes word for it. Sorry for the mistake. No I am not European...I am Ifrit aka John.

SabilaK said...

Hey John! You must have been watching BBC...

SabilaK said...

Rich, speaking of Henry James, tonight's episode of Lost featured a screen shot of The Turn of the Screw! It's a clue, I know it!