Sunday, November 20, 2005

IRON CHEF-ING THE KHAN FAMILY THANKSGIVING

For the few of you out there who don't already know, my brother and I are going to be competing for the title of Iron Chef Thanksgiving this Thursday.
Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday ever since senior year of high school when I first decided that I would cook EVERYTHING (excluding the turkey, which my mom makes every year; I have a fear of salmonella poisoning my family) on my own, from scratch. Pie crust, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce: you name it, I make it from scratch. Sure, by the end of the night, I'm exhausted, nearly in tears and not very hungry but my family and our guests' happily bloated stomachs make it all worth it.
Back in senior year of college, I cooked more than I've ever cooked in my life for 13 guests. The menu included 6 desserts alone (pecan pie, truffles, sugar-free apple pie, pumpkin bundt cake...and I can't remember the remaining two desserts).
So, my brother who watches the Food Network religiously is absolutley obnoxious when it comes to cooking. He pretends he has his own show and trash talks the entire time, about how he's a better cook than I am. However, the thing is, he doesn't know the fundamentals of cooking. Sure, he may have the passion, but without talent, you're not winning Iron Chef Thanksgiving!
One day, I had enough of his trash talk, so I threw him the Thanksgiving punk card, he picked it up and now the victor will prevail on Gobble-Gobble Day. Our family is going to judge. The not-so-secret-secret ingredient is the mighty pecan.
We're each going to cook two sides, one bread and one dessert (mom remains responsible for the turkey); our eldest brother is going to assist my brother in his kitchen, while our mom will assist me in my kitchen. Assistants can only cut ingredients and clean after the chefs; they cannot, under any circumstances, COOK.
I finalized my menu this morning.
Here's to winning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you need an unbiased judge....what say?