Friday, January 12, 2007

THE FAMILY BLIND DATE: I'LL HAVE SOME MORE OF THAT!

I think I'd like to have my mother set up more family blind dates because I'm rather bored at the moment and, frankly, the FBDs are quite fun for the following reasons:

1) The mystery: I don't know about other peoples' experiences with family blind dates but mine always have elements of mystery thrown into them. For instance, during the last FBD, I didn't know the name of the guy with whom I was being matched, what he looked like, or where he lived. All I had to go on was his age and his occupation. What a brilliant way to pique a single woman's (trepidatious) interest.

2) The drama: Let's face it folks, the FBD gives me something about which I can bitch and gripe. My life isn't all that interesting (whose is, really, anyway. Liars, all of you raising your hands!). Add to that the fact that I like talking and having people listen to me (I'm convinced this is a by-product of being the youngest child) and is there anything better or more foreign as a FBD to hold others' attentions. And I won't lie: I love drama. I believe in drama. That feeling of building things up to an emotional crescendo assures that life will never be boring or bland.

3) The relief: Once the FBD begins, the emotional crescendo, that combination of anger, frustration, fear, humiliation, and anticipation will deflate as rapidly as a pin-pricked balloon. The realization that all I have to do is sit back and talk (everyone knows how much I love to talk) and GET THIS OVER WITH is a cathartic experience, as satisfying as the drama leading up to it.

4) The comedy: Even in the midst of griping, bitching, stomping my feet, the general distress and an overwhelming feeling of being railroaded, I'm very aware of the entertainment and comedic value of the FBD, as is everyone else. At the core of it, all of my drama is comedy. Knowing this keeps me sane.

5) That glimmer of hope: Wrapped up in the crazy mix of emotions leading up to the FBD is always that hope that, by some miracle of miracles, I'll end up meeting a great guy. Stranger things have happened, dear reader.

I'm so telling my mother to start up her matchmaking ways again! This should be fun (or something).

9 comments:

mist1 said...

My parents would never dream of setting me up on a date. They don't even admit that I'm related to them.

Anonymous said...

I say we should post an ad on craig's list and see what happens.

;)

Anonymous said...

bored in manhattan? shucks, that's sad. date me! I promise drama

SabilaK said...

Mist: Your parents would be genetically predisposed to set you up on dates if they were Pakistani.

DCGirl: That would be an interesting experiment...just as long as we can do it anonymously...*wink, wink*

Anonymouse: I am no longer taking appointments for dates. Talk to my people.

Anonymous said...

the pyramids were done, so I let your people go.

Anonymous said...

HELP_ME!

THE GERMS!
THE GERMS!

THEY'RE TAKING OVER MY ROOM!

I FEEL SO ICKY! AND GERMY!

MUST_STERILIZE_ROOM!

I CAN'T WAIT TO DROWN MY ROOM IN RUBBING ALCOHOL!

THE VIRGO IN ME IS GOING NUTS RIGHT NOW!

HELP! PLEASE!

SOMEONE!

SEND_HELP!

SABILAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HELPPPPPP MEEEEEEEEE.

*achoo*

*sniff*

*pout*

I have a cold.
=(

Anonymous said...

time for an update...

Anonymous said...

no update for ages darling...does that mean you are now officially off the market, having swooned over your FBD???

Anonymous said...

dcgirl don't you have a life? stop living vicariously through poor sabila, pauvre pauvre sabila!