Thursday, December 08, 2005

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN



I found an article entitled "The Straight Dude's Guide to Brokeback" on msnbc.com (a link follows). Apparently, straight men are shying away from Brokeback Mountain, which opens tomorrow in NY, LA, and San Francisco and insiders are predicting that the film--a romance albeit between two men--will draw more female viewers than males.
I'm currently trying to convince my brothers to watch the movie with me tomorrow night (I was supposed to go with Mr. Puntabulous himself. CM, however, needs to head out to LI tomorrow and must, therefore, stand me up. CM: I'm so sorry I'm not waiting for you. I NEED to watch this movie tomorrow night because I SO NEED a good cry. I'll be more than happy to watch it again with you next week, though!).
C'mon you guys. Stop being punks. Watch the movie! You're not like those haters in the mid-West and the South. You need to watch this film for several reasons, including:

1) Ang Lee
2) Oscar-worthy performances from Jake G., Heath L., Anne H. and Michelle W.
3) Who doesn't heart the above-mentioned cast? People without hearts, that's who!
4) Pulitzer-prize winning novelist and literary legend Larry MucMurtry adapted the screenplay from...
5)...Pulitzer-prize winner Annie Proulx's O. Henry Award-winning short story (it first graced the pages of The New Yorker. Now I know that some of you guys reading this are, if nothing else, fans of The New Yorker. Shouldn't that be reason enough for you to watch the film? I think it should.
6) Ang Lee
7) Michelle W. shows just how much better she is than that stupid Katie Holmes who played the cute card to death on Dawson's Creek
8) Jake G. is a cutie pie who will prove that he's so much more than just a pretty face
9) Ang Lee
10) Who would've thunk that Heath L. would deliver what so many critics are calling one of the best performances of the year! You know who would?! My brother. C'mon SK (my bro), you predicted that Heath L. would be a great actor back in the day when we watched 10 Things I Hate About You. You know you want to watch it happen now.
11) Annie Proulx
12) In The Princess Diaries, Anne Hathaway played a nerd who discovers she is a princess! That should appeal to everyone who likes this site! Support the nerds (including those actors who play nerds/geeks)
13) Larry McMurtry
14) Michelle W. and Heath L. fell in love while filming this movie and are now married and the parents of a newborn baby girl; they call her Matilda. And, and, the hipster couple is living in Brooklyn. And they rock. How awesome is that? I always thought that what's-her-face was too old for Heath L. I'm glad to see that he's come around to girls closer to his own age.
That other actress he dated, what's-her-face, was a lot older than him, too. Talk about robbing the cradle (oh yah: Naomi Watts and Heather Graham).
15) here's the link I mentioned at the beginning of this post:
"The Straight Dude's Guide to Brokeback"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10342237/

So, ladies, share this with the men in your lives; straight men in my life
(SK and SK, I'm talking to YOU), we need to watch this movie this
weekend.
Great.
SABILA

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sabila, darling, don't you want to leave your devoted readers a link to the Proulx SS? xoxo

[adventures.in.anonymity] said...

shahrukh khan and salman khan are the men in your life? ew.

ps: if you add a "j" before ang lee, it spells janglee. betcha didn't know that.

SabilaK said...

Rich, dear, The New Yorker makes you pay for access to their archives online. :(

Anonymous said...

Sorry I think Das New Yorker must've just started doing that (cheap bastards). Anyway I saw Brokeback Mountain this morning with my sister (it's released nationwide this Friday, January 6, and only playing at one theatre in Leiscester Square au moment) & thought it amazing! -- superior to the short story in some ways. Heath was superb. I've always liked Heath, and am even on board with this whole marriage to Michelle Williams thing, now. But this is the way romances should be told -- not Notebook-style, blech, hated The Notebook. See it soon, love, if you haven't yet!