Wednesday, December 21, 2005

FINAL PATH BLOG FOR THE NIGHT

I had an appointment in Midtown yesterday, so, when I was done, I once again hopped onto the Journal Square PATH train to return to work. There I was, leaning against the doors of the first car (exactly how the warning on the door instructs you not to), waiting for it to move. My giant bookbag and handbag were on the floor by my feet. There were plenty of seats available, since this wasn't during rush hour, but I was only a few minutes from my stop and figured I'd remain standing.
Suddenly, this guy who had been sitting, got up and was like, "Hey, why don't you sit down?"
I was like, "Hey, thanks, but no. I'm fine."
He was like, "But I insist. Please."
And I was like, "I'm gonna get off at the fourth stop from here. Really, it's no big deal."
He was like, "I insist. Really. It's my pleasure." He put his hand to his heart.
I was like, "Oh. Okay then. Thank you."
I didn't want to disappoint this dude or discourage such acts of valiant chivalry. Therefore, I took his seat and not the vacant ones on either side of his seat.
So, I sat in his spot while he stood in my spot. I wondered if I was obligated to talk to him or something. Did he expect me to give him my number? Or to make conversation with him? I felt so put on the spot.
I decided to read Villette as the train chugged towards Christopher Street.
I settled on smiling at him as I exited the train.
He returned the smile. Maybe he didn't have any ulterior motives. Maybe he was just a gentleman and, because there aren't many remaining in today's day and age, women immediately think the worst of men who act gentlemanly.
It's nice to see chivalry in action.

4 comments:

Nefertiti said...

If, after you offer her your seat, she takes out a book and reads instead of continuing a conversation with you...she's just not that into you.
You are a moron.

=)



***no but i get what you're saying...everyone has motives and it's hard to imagine that someone is doing something just because

[adventures.in.anonymity] said...

when i give an innocent girl my seat in an otherwise sparcely occupied mode of public transportation, i'm usually doing it to plant some evidence on her so that i don't get caught for my highly illegal activity.

but thats just me.

SabilaK said...

AA: heating a seat is not an illegal activity.

Anonymous said...

awe, just consider there are nice people on this planet at times.