Sunday, May 21, 2006

WHAT ABOUT THE SHOWER CURTAINS: The Not-So-Hidden Danger in Pakistan's Bathrooms



Most of Pakistan's population DOES NOT believe in shower curtains, as is illustrated by the image above. No one can deny that my aunt's guest bathroom is attractive. I, however, hated it with my entire being. I hated it alot.

I used to take shower curtains for granted until I realized how the absence of a curtain made showering, especially with a removable showerhead, awkward and stressful (one doesn't have much control over where the water splashes. Thank goodness the greater population doesn't believe in bathroom mats either); exiting the tub and then maneuvering around the sizable bathroom was downright treacherous (this is when one starts to miss and appreciate the bathroom mats).

Back in the day, the population didn't believe in tubs at all. Instead of tubs, most of the bathrooms in the older homes have tiled floors and showerheads mounted strategically in corners.

The entire bathroom, essentially, becomes your bathtub. I'm not so keen on that.

I'm glad I managed to survive the Pakistani bathroom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t know about “back in the day.” We have a pretty new apartment there, and the bathroom is just as you describe it, with “tiled floors and showerheads mounted strategically in corners.” But I can’t agree with you more… I’m not a fan of that design either.

Abstracting Silliness said...

for those who do not know pakistani bathrooms, there is also a grill covered drain on the floors about the size of a large circular coaster (even if there is a bathtub) through which all the water... drains out... (what else?).

SabilaK said...

It's the stuff of nightmares, anonymous...it's the stuff of nightmares...

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»