Monday, December 11, 2006

GOODBYE FRIENDS: Brain Cells on the Rapid Decline

So, after the age of 20, people lose an average of 50,000 brain cells a day.
The key to preventing and reversing this very sad fact of life is exercising the brain as you would exercise, say, the glutes. No, no, no. Squats and gluteal flexing won't help you boost your cognition (though they do wonders boosting your derriere) but reading, doing crossword puzzles and sudoku will.

I must say that as much as I read, I do feel as if my mental acquity has taken a blow over the past several years. I was much smarter when I was a kid and my ability to retain all kinds of information was amazing. Now, not so much...

I wonder if those find-the-hidden-word puzzles count as exercise for the brain or are they the Wheel of Fortune of puzzles.

I should take up sudoku, maybe.

5 comments:

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Sudoku will suck you in.....

Craig said...

"the Wheel of Fortune of puzzles"

Hysterical!

rizwan said...

khair hai! adulthood isn't much to write home about in any case! the less we retain, the better :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cheeky, Sudoku is addictive.

mist1 said...

I am still in that painful place where I remember how much smarter I used to be. I am hoping that those memories will fade soon and I will be blissfully ignorant.