Friday, April 14, 2006

GRUPS

Let's throw a new word into our lexica, shall we? My favorite new word of the moment: grups.

According to a recent article in New York magazine, an ongoing "rock star-ification of America" is, essentially, erasing the generation gap. Today's 30-, 40- and even 50-somethings are watching the same movies and tv shows, listening to the same music and wearing the same clothes as people in their late teens and early twenties. Adam Sternbergh, who writes the article, came up with the term "grup," to describe these hipsters. " 'Grups' is a nerdy reference to an old Star Trek episode in which Kirk and crew land on a planet run entirely by kids, who call grown-ups 'grups,' " he explains. "All the adults have been killed off by a terrible virus, which also slows the natural aging process, so the kids are trapped in a state of extended prepubescence. They will never grow up. And they are running the show."

So, as cool a noun as "grup" is, let's try to make it a verb (a la "google," "Anna Nicole Smith" [this noun becomes a verb when one tacks on the pronoun "it" to it] "dipstick," "bookmark," and "kung fu").

For instance: "Mom totally surprised me by grupping it and buying a Franz Ferdinand t-shirt instead of another one of those Eileen Fisher blouses that literally LITTER her wardrobe!";

or: "J's never going to find romance in Manhattan unless she grups herself up!";

or: "I grupped around all day, hence, the abundance of shopping bags in my hands! SOME HELP HERE, PLEASE!"

or: "Didn't anyone tell him that suits are for wusses? I'd give anything to grup him!"

and, of course: "My great-aunt MEANT to give the church auxiliary group members a symbolic 'grup you,' when she walked into the meeting wearing oversized sunglasses, an ironic vintage t-shirt, shredded jeans, and cowboy boots."

As for this movement of grup, I LOVE IT. I mean, seriously folks, at 27, the nerd isn't getting younger and has always been an advocate of maintaining hip-ness regardless of age. I'm so gonna be a grup when I grow up and my future babies will wear rockin' clothes like the ones shown here: http://www.samandseb.com/index.php?cPath=21.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I object! Personally I'm all ready to embrace the old man of the sea inside me. When did aging become such bitter anathema? When did it become so unvalued? Aging is natural, graceful, and not so grotesque as our current youth-obsessed culture would interpolate. ("Youth is beauty, beauty youth?" I'm so over that bastardization of Keats!) Seriously, I don't understand what's to be praised in the entire nation prostrating themselves before the altar of Paris Hilton. Nerd, I'm disappointed in you. I expected that old lady within who just wants to sit on a porch with her cats and share wizened stories with her fellow disenfranchised freaks & geeks to have rallied against the status quo. How sad. It's one thing to be fifty and know who Franz Ferdinand is. It's another thing to wear the tee-shirt to your teenager's Back to School Night.

Anonymous said...

nothing wrong in grupping.....humans will always change to accomodate happiness

SabilaK said...

RR! Does this mean I'm no longer welcome to retire with you in our English countryside manor roaming with cats and cabana boys?

Anonymous said...

Darling, of course we're set to retire together... But if you're 80 and wearing midriff-bearing shirts, I shall pretend not to know you when the cabana boy comes around.