Monday, April 24, 2006

OFFICIAL STATE POEMS?

Only five US states have official state poems. The states and poems follow:

1) Indiana; "Indiana" by Arthur Franklin Mapes
2) Massachusetts; "Blue Hills of Massachusetts" by Katherine E. Mullen
3) New Mexico; "A Nuevo Mexico" by Luis Tafoya
4) Oklahoma; "Howdy Folks" by David Randolph Milsten
5) Tennessee; "Oh Tennessee, My Tennessee" by Naval Adm. William Porter Lawrence

Sure, most of the above poems suck but at least these five states HAVE official state poems. Like, what the hell is wrong with the remaining 45 states? When did poetry die?

No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, so, what WOULD the official state poem of NJ be? Something from WCW, I suspect, no? He still really does it for me... (The British don't "get" him, FYI. They choose Wallace Stevens above Willie Williams.)

SabilaK said...

It would SO have to be William Carlos Williams. I heart physician poets.

SabilaK said...

I'll take "This is Just to Say" as my state poem any day. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

perhaps you could try this on

John Gorka

I'm From New Jersey

From the album "Jack's Crows"

I'm from New Jersey
I don't expect too much
If the world ended today
I would adjust

lyrics at
http://www.geocities.com/thegypsylife/newjersey.html