Monday, June 23, 2008

THE WEEKEND

In one of the more surreal moments of my life, amma and MP sat down together and watched an entire episode of Ek Se BadhKar Ek--one of the many thoroughly annoying programs on an Indian cable network called Zee TV that my parents (like most South Asian, diasporic parents) LOVE--while I flitted in and out of the room, going about my own business.

"Shahrukh Khan is my favorite actor," I heard amma tell him at one point.

"Do you like Salman Khan?" MP asked.

"Yes, he's nice too," she said thoughtfully.

"Though a bit of an alcholic, no?"

MP, as many of you already know, is NOT South Asian.

It was bizarre.

6 comments:

See Bee said...

wowsome :)

how dyu fit in his not-south-asian family ;)

Terra Shield said...

There's something rather adorable about that conversation

SabilaK said...

chitty cat: I'd like to think I fit in quite nicely. What happened to "Trauma Queen," by the way? I loved that name.

terra: they ARE adorable.

Anonymous said...

hahaha I wish I was there to see that.
We've started netflixing oldies so that the wife can pick up a bit of the language.
BTW you need to karaoke with his parents.

Anonymous said...

Sabila: You would've loved seeing AT doing the dance to the song 'Aaja Maahive' with me.

Very cute.

See Bee said...

yeah - i just got bored of that blogger name. however, my blog name is still traumatic :P

honestly - i started getting into a lot of and i mena a LOT of blog fights. ppl jumpng to conclusions about my personality based on my blogger name. really stupid i know

but i just got a bit bored of constantly defending myself. nbyes - my hti rate has MASSIVELY reduced after i change the name

but - id rather have it this way than have rude comments.