Friday, June 30, 2006

I DON'T CARE FOR...Nail Salons: Why the Nerd Stops to Smile Even Before the Manicurist Pulls Out a File



I hate getting manicures and pedicures.

I can feel precious minutes that could be spent on more productive endeavors being clipped away and brushed aside like fingernails and toenails. The vapid women’s and celebrity gossip magazines that nail salons offer bore me until I’m squirming in my chair, eager to be free of base coats and buffer blocks, cuticle pushers and cutters, nail polish and fingerbaths. The most excruciating part of the entire ritual, however, comes after my nails have been perfectly filed and painted: drying the polish to a hard and long-lasting gloss. Yes, the drying process is even more agonizing than the pressure of having to choose one or two colors from the hundreds of polishes that salons offer as time-pressed manicurists look on impatiently. I never know how long to expose my finger- and toenails to the six minute drying cycle (fan-only followed by heat plus UV light followed by fan-only). So I end up sitting through four or five cycles, looking on embarrassedly as women who start the cycle after me breeze out before me.

It all leaves me extremely distraught.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you get them done, if your going to complain about it?

Anonymous said...

Go to a place where they have men do the pedicures. Once you have a man rubbing your feet down and painting your nails, you'll spend a small fortune getting your toes done every two weeks.

Abstracting Silliness said...

I feel the same way about cooking and gym (the productivity bit). You can always take your ipod to the salon, listen to some audio book or some npr podcast or something.

SabilaK said...

I get manicures and pedicures because they make my nails look pretty for about two whole days (if I'm lucky) before the polish starts chipping and I start to wonder why I waste my time and money on such ephemeral silliness.