Thursday, June 15, 2006

I’VE BEEN ARCTIC-MONKEY’D…AND THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME

My friend surprised me with tickets to an Arctic Monkeys show at Roseland Ballroom last night and it was spectacular. And I’m not saying that just because it was my first time.

Shock! Gasp! Horror!

Yes, dear reader, I speak the truth. It’s a lame truth, but I speak it anyway and fully expect you to do one of two things once you’ve fully comprehended this truth: laugh or shake your head in disappointment. What can I say? I was sheltered in my youth and didn’t necessarily dabble in all of the “football-and-apple-pie”-ness of Americana.

So, last night, standing amidst a sea of teenagers—preppy, punk, geeky, they were all represented—a few soccer moms and small clusters of grups, I took in the thick smell of sweat commingled with smoke and smiled as I was pleasantly jostled. A band called We Are Scientists opened for the Monkeys and while I had no idea who they were before last night, they were a fun band.

As for the Monkeys, I was quickly able to get over the fact that they look like fourteen-year-olds because they put on a most excellent show, starting off with “Riot Van” and finishing with “A Certain Romance.” They were up there for about an hour and had the swagger of seasoned professionals. I had such a good time that, in spite of the fact that, by the end of the night, I’d been on my not-the-most-comfortable-shoed feet for over two hours, dancing to the music, I felt amazing. I was positively bouncing on my way home.

Special shout out to my friend M for the show! You rock! I can only hope that some of your coolness will eventually rub off on me.

3 comments:

Richie said...

I have an Arctic Monkeys poster from NME (British music mag) if you want it, darling. I'll bring it to NYC when I get up there next month. I'm in serious culture shock right now. We Are Scientists are good, no? I'm jealous.

SabilaK said...

I'd love the poster! I'll hang it up in my office next to thE Jake G. pic and the pickle card you sent me for my birthday a couple of years ago. Gosh, I'm SO professional!

SabilaK said...

You're in Jersey but you might as well be in the UK! I miss you.