Monday, June 19, 2006

PAKISTANDARDS: Pakistani Vegetarianism?


Our nerd holds a bowlful of cholay earlier this evening as her family chows down on a meat-heavy Pakistani dinner.

There is no such thing as Pakistani vegetarianism. There is only cholay (curried chickpeas). This dish has saved me from going hungry or pathetically nibbling on plain naan and salad at many Pakistani parties. There are times when I, craving variety and effort on the part of our host(s), find myself getting sick and tired of cholay, even hating the dish a little bit.

But that's wrong. Because cholay's been there for me...and I appreciate that.

Thank you cholay, for everything.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilarious. anything is better than halim. never had it, but liquified meat just doens't seem right. better to stick with channa/aloo combo.

SabilaK said...

Pesco-ovo-lacto vegetarian, my friend.
And, Passion, I've been POL veggie for a year and a half. It's agreeing with me.

SabilaK said...

Yah, I remember haleem from my childhood. Ew.

girl said...

Mmm, I love chickpeas. :) Even though I'm a diehard carnivore.

Anonymous said...

went vegan for a week on a dare. bad idea to start the south beach diet the same week. lost like 8lbs and became absurdly sick. first meal after the diet was a fish sandwich from popeye's. should've waited one more day.

Anonymous said...

what about daals...chawal, subzis?

SabilaK said...

They always serve rice (chawal) with chicken or beef at the Pakistani parties I've been to. Plus, neither the hosts nor the guests seem to believe in vegetable dishes (subzis) or lentils (daal). Sigh.