Wednesday, August 23, 2006

M, ANYONE?

It was a clear early Sunday morning circa summer 2003. I had spent my Saturday (afternoon, evening and) night watching the Real World/Road Rules Challenge marathon on MTV, and with my brain thoroughly numbed, I decided to finally climb into bed. That night, I dreamt one of the most real dreams I've ever had in my life. I won't go into details but a younger, twenty-something version of my aunt, who had recently passed away was in the dream, alive and heartbreakingly beautiful. She was so vivid that I can still remember what she was wearing: a short red kurta top with delicate white embroidery, white trouser shalwar with red embroidery, a white dhuppata and a single red ribbon in her hair. I attempted to convince other relatives that my aunt, whose death I was very aware of in the dream, shouldn't have been there, alive and vibrant and well. Meanwhile, she attempted to tell me something but I was too damned scared to even look at her, well because she should have been dead.

Anyway, my aunt finally managed to corner me in my office, where I seemed to be hosting a family reunion of sorts (she entered the reunion uberdramatically, parting a line of relatives standing in the hallway with a slight gesture of the hand) and told me that I worry too much, that I'd eventually marry a wonderful man who'd make me very happy and that his name was--and she stopped just as she started to tell me his name, saying," Well, maybe I shouldn't tell you," and then she walked away.

So, the name she was about to reveal to me started with an "M" and I remember thinking "Mish," "Mich," "Mitch," and similar variations during and shortly after waking up from the dream (at which point, I'm not in the slightest bit embarrassed to confess that I ran to my parents' room and jumped into bed with them. I was terrified, it was so real). Ever since, my brothers tease me about "Mish," "Mich," or just "M," my perfect man ("Damn, you look like crap today, Sabila. What if we walked by M and you missed out on destiny? And all because you went to bed late and have dark circles under your eyes! Tsk, tsk, tsk," they'll say.

I should include somewhere in my biodata that I'm only looking for men whose first names begin with "M." I suspect such a request might get me blacklisted for life from Desi matchmaking circles.

I don't worry too much (I don't worry at all) about such ridiculous things, but I do often wonder where my M might be. Sigh.

Or not so much.

Ahem. Gag. Ahem (with some sighs thrown in there, just in case).

11 comments:

mist1 said...

OMG. Maybe the mysterious "M" is me. Mist 1. I'll need to see a biodata. Also, I'm a chick. This could pose a problem.

Anonymous said...

Dash it, I say...why could it not have been an A...

Anonymous said...

not to worry!...'mohamed' is a very common name..those that don't have it..can claim it as a middle name....

Chris said...

A friend and I, back in high school, once spent hours wandering Disneyworld looking for a cute girl whose named started with an "M" all because we saw a big "M" and an arrow in the clouds directly after a request to our respective gods for a sign leading us to our dream woman. It was an ill-fated search, because we had no social skills.

As for your M...perhaps the dream is a red herring, so that you will not suspect a thing when you meet an anti-M who will, in fact, be the real M, without the actual "M". Or something. There was a coherent thought in there somewhere.

Anonymous said...

how about "Mr." ?
One could assume "M" would be a proper gentleman...

Jill said...

I had a dream that I got married in a middle school gymnasium. Let's hope that not all dreams are prophetic.

SabilaK said...

Mist: There was most definitely an "s" or a soft "c" sound in the almost-uttered name in my prophetic dream! I demand a biodata from you! Are you sure you're a chick?
Have you ever considered a sex change??

Anonymous: I ask the same sort of questions whenever I'm crushing on someone whose name begins with a letter of the alphabet that isn't an "M." I think part of me kinda hates this M for locking me into my destiny. Bastid.....but of course I don't believe in prophetic dreams and all that supernatural mumbo jumbo, err.....cough.....ahem.

Zee: I woke my mother up that night as I climbed into bed with her and told her about the dream. "I think it might have been either the name Michael or Mitchell she was trying to say," I told her. "There aren't so many Muslim names that start with an M." My mother, in spite of being half asleep and somewhat shocked that I'd climbed into bed with her nearly two decades after the last time I'd done so, immediately said, "Well, it COULD be Mohammad." So, yah, I suppose it could be.

Chris: So, what you're trying to say is that my true M might, in fact, be a different letter altogether? Can he be a W (I'm thinking Wentworth Miller here...oooh...Miller!)???

BK: I'm not a slave to destiny after all!

Jill: Were you marrying a pimply, middle school crush? Were you IN middle school when you had this dream/nightmare (perhaps a dreammare)? I wouldn't mind getting hitched in the school auditorium. The ceremony can be followed by bingo, a Chinese auction and a dance during which the guys and girls suspiciously eye each other from opposite sides of the dance floor! Ahhh, the nostalgia!

Jill said...

The best part of the suspicious-eye dance is the pervading smell of pubescent boy sweat. In winter it is so bad!!! Kind of like the Chicago Art Institute on a free day. The other fun part is the scorned girl in the corner crying with her friends dissing on the guy and telling her that she could do better. Most of the time the boy has no idea that he has rejected anyone and that he has ruined a girl's life and she will never forgot what he did.

dtsmooth said...

what happens to a dream deferred?

Anonymous said...

His name may not have begun with 'M,' it could have been Mister something....and you only caught the M...part of 'Mr.' but seriously...
Sahih Bukhari 9.140
Narrated 'Aisha:
Allah's Apostle said to me, "You were shown to me twice (in my dream) before I married you. I saw an angel carrying you in a silken piece of cloth, and I said to him, 'Uncover (her),' and behold, it was you. I said (to myself), 'If this is from Allah, then it must happen.' Then you were shown to me, the angel carrying you in a silken piece of cloth, and I said (to him), 'Uncover (her), and behold, it was you. I said (to myself), 'If this is from Allah, then it must happen.' "
Possible moral of the story is...if it is from Allah, it will happen...I have often seen dreams where the name of a particular girl is mentioned, but I have noticed that my reality obscured the purity of my dream...in the sense that if the dream was not corrupted by the worldly experiences my subconscious was re-living at that particular time, I would have known the actual name of the person...in any case...all the best...

mAn[S]o0r said...

damn :P if i had been a bit older... i would've fit the bill 'perfectly' :D oh well.. the world still moves on.

both M and S are satisfied :p maybe u should start looking for someone named mansoor there ;)