Wednesday, August 16, 2006

THIS ONE TIME, THE NERD'S COUSIN PROPOSED TO HER...

...and it was gross. It was very, very, very gross.

So's my life.

Welcome.

I'm not going to go into the details of the surprise incestuous proposal--all I'm going to say is that it happened earlier this year, while I was vacationing in the motherland with the family. It certainly was not cool. Instead, it ranks amongst the most bizarre experiences of my life.

In all fairness, I realize that marriages between cousins are accepted and even encouraged in many cultures. Additionally, research conducted only a few years ago--and discussed in a front-page New York Times article--revealed that the chances of first cousins having offspring with birth defects are only minimally higher than those of biologically unrelated parents; ultimately, there is no biological reason to discourage cousin marriages.

All that being said, may none of you ever have to dodge the advances of a lovesick first cousin because the heebijeebies such situations inspire are downright debilitating.

Ew.

5 comments:

Terra Shield said...

In this age and time? It used to be such a long time ago to protect family property, but... Yikes!

I thought that those practices were done away with. Poor you!

Anonymous said...

over 50% of brit pakis are married to 1st cuzin's..60% Saudis married to 1st/2nd cuzin's

mist1 said...

This is popular in the Southern U.S. where I live with my cousin.

Kidding.

Maritza said...

How timely! I thought it was cute that my new tenants looked alike. Married couples start looking the same, blah blah. She invites me over and I see photos of the family. Not only are they cousins, they grew up together which makes it even ickier!!

SabilaK said...

Anusha: Nope. They're still alive and kicking.

Zee: Seriously?! Those numbers are way higher than I'd ever imagined!

Mist: Phew.

Maritza: Are they Pakistani or Indian?