Wednesday, February 01, 2006

COFFEE APOTHECARY?

So, my relationship with Egyptian coffee guy--ECG, as I'll call him from here forward--took a turn for the weird today. I walked up to his cart, hawking up a lung (while the cold is essentially over, the nagging cough lingers) and struggled to order a medium coffee with skim milk and two Equals between my coughs. The following conversation ensued:

ECG: You still sick?
Me: (cough, cough) Yes. This has really been the worst cold of my life (cough, sniffle, slurp).
ECG: Climate change is what does it.
Me: (cough) EVERYONE in Pakistan was sick. I just caught it from the folks over there.
ECG: Climate. I go to Egypt and I'm fine. I come back and I'm so sick (shaking head). Last time, I was DEAD. I was NEAR DEAD. In bed for weeks.
Me: That's (cough, sniffle, cough) awful. That's bloody awful (cough).
ECG: You sound bad.
Me: (cough, cough, cough) It's getting better, actually. (slurp, sniffle, cough, cough, cough) I'm feeling a LOT (cough, cough) better than I was last week.
ECG: You want pills?
Me: Say (cough) wha (cough)? (Just for the record, I don't actually say "say wha?" in real life. I just threw that in here for comedic purposes. I AM NOT LYING TO YOU ABOUT THE DETAILS OF MY LIFE A LA JAMES FREY. Just embellishing for the sake of comedy).
ECG: Pills. Medicine. I have it (nodding and shrugging like he's just told me he used the Holy Grail as a book end on his shelf at home).
Me: (cough, surprise, cough) Oh, you don't say (cough).
ECG: I can bring it in, if you like.
Me: (not having the heart to tell him that I don't take drugs from strangers and...coughing) Wow! I'd really appreciate that!
ECG: I was so sick last two weeks ago. Near dead. I ate one pill before going sleep and I was fine (snapping fingers) like that!
Me: Is (cough) it (cough) an (cough) Egyptian (cough) medicine (cough)?
ECG: No, no (leaning towards me in confidence). It's from here.
Me: Great! I look forward to having some...of the...(cough, cough, cough, cough, cough) pills (thinking about how I WON'T sample the pills that my COFFEE GUY gives me). Thanks for the coffee! See you and THANKS AGAIN! BYE!

My ECG is the best CG EVER!
I'll keep you folks posted.

1 comment:

girl said...

dood - meanwhile, i think he overcharged me for chocolate chip muffin. guess he's not drug-dealer nice to just anyone!