Wednesday, February 22, 2006

TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS



I first discovered Tiny Tim's song, "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" in a pre-teeny bopper novel called STRICTLY FOR LAUGHS. I was in the 6th, maybe the 7th grade and bought the book at a school book fair (oh, how I hearted those book fairs! I'd leave with DOZENS of books tucked under each arm! IT WAS FANTASTIC).
I remember that the author, some chick called Ellen Conford, dedicated the novel to her husband who she said changed her tire in the rain one night and had been sending her into "transports of delight" ever since (even back then I found the dedication to be wholly inappropriate for my pre-teeny bopping peers. That was just too much information, Ellen Conford. Ugh...I'm kinda suprised I remember all that though...).
In any case, the novel is about an aspiring comedian (I believe her name is Joey) and her shy-aspiring-dj-best-friend-who-she-secretly-loves (I wanna say his name is Peter). The two Long Island teens get the potential break of a lifetime when they're tapped to fill in for a radio dj who's on vacation or maternity leave or dead or SOMETHING. Things get complicated when the best friend convinces his crush, a beautiful guitar-playing, genius folk singer chick (Dinah? Diana?), to host the radio show with them (yah, WHATEVER you guys. Sure, it's a stretch, but it's a pre-teeny bopper book! C'mon)...
Fret not. Joey (?) and Peter (?) do end up together and most likely go on to destroy a perfectly wonderful friendship with sex, but that's beside the point.
Let's get back to my favorite song of the moment---quite possibly my favorite song OF ALL TIME. The kids decide that they're going to open their show every night with Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe Through the Tulips."
THAT'S how I happened upon it.
It's great.
Check it out.
Following are the wonderfully trippy and happy song lyrics:

Tiptoe through the window
By the window, that is where I'll be
Come tiptoe through the tulips with me

Oh, tiptoe from the garden
By the garden of the willow tree
And tiptoe through the tulips with me

Knee deep in flowers we'll stray
We'll keep the showers away
And if I kiss you in the garden, in the moonlight
Will you pardon me?
And tiptoe through the tulips with me

No comments: