Saturday, February 11, 2006

Gum, anyone?



Dramatis Personae.

SabilaK (the Nerd)
Dude #1
Dude #2
Important Editor
Random Woman

Setting: in an elevator

(Our Nerd is working busily on unwrapping a pack of spearmint flavored Trident gum)

Dude #2: Trident

(The Nerd looks up from her pack of gum to see that Dude #2 isn't talking to Dude #1, and that the observation, instead, seems to have been directed towards her. Dude #1, Dude#2, Important Editor, and Random Woman are all looking at her. They seem to be waiting for her to say something).

Nerd (holding the pack out to Dude #2): Want one?

(More silence, broken only by the Random Woman's coughing. Dude #2 is looking at the Nerd, trying to figure out if she's serious and how he should respond. He's smiling).

Nerd (waving the now-unwrapped pack of spearmint flavored Trident gum): Because, I have...like...(ahem) so, uh, many sticks of gum here.

Dude #2 (holding out his hand, shrugs): Sure. If you're offering.

Elevator stops on Nerd's floor and the doors open and remain open as the Nerd, standing between them, attempts to fish out a stick of gum for Dude #2. Dude #1, Important Editor, and Random Woman wait impatiently. As she finally manages to take out a stick of gum for Dude #2, she hesitates for a moment, feeling guilty for not offering the others any gum. She wonders if now is an appropriate moment to do so.
Quickly deciding that the answer is more likely than not NO, she hightails it right outta there.

FINIS



Okay, so that was a lame excuse for a play/script/whatever (yah, the other characters were like part of the stage set) but the story is a true one.
It's one of those you-just-had-to-be-there-or-hear-the-Nerd-talk-about-in-person stories. Seriously.
Anyway, hope it was not THAT lame. I'm extremely sleepy and mustn't be held responsible for the content of this blog.


FYI, the very first thing I did after tripping and falling in my gym's parking lot last year was get up and call my brother on my cell phone. It was a panic reaction. I had to do something busy so I wouldn't have to think about what a dork I was. For the same reason, I found myself---upon stepping out of the elevator---offering a stick of the spearmint flavored Trident gum to everyone I encountered.

Goodnight peeps!

No comments: