Saturday, February 11, 2006

UNSENT MESSAGE TO MY BROTHER IN HIS PAIN



Yes folks, you originally saw this posting on Naseeb...

Okay folks, here's one of my favorite poems. It took me a while to dig this one out, so please do read it. Why was finding this poem so difficult? Well, firstly, I didn't know the poem's title or the name of the poet who penned it. Secondly, while I remembered reading it once back in college in an anthology of modern poetry, the name of the anthology escaped me. I did remember, however, that it was a white book. I couldn't remember what it was about, but did know it had something to do with brothers and, for whatever reason, though there might have been kites involved (once you've read the poem, you'll realize that, clearly, I was mistaken about the kites). For those of you who've seen my room, the fact that this was a daunting task is an understatement. I have books coming out of every corner of my little, blue room and, sometimes, they all look the same.
In any case, I found it. The anthology is called "The Morrow Anthology of Younger American Poets," the poem title is mentioned above as the title of this je and the poet is a gentleman by the name of Leon Stokesbury.
Please note, neither one of my brothers is in pain; they are healthy, handsome and strapping men who do not need me to send (or rather, not send) them a message.
So, here it is:

"Unsent Message to My Brother in His Pain"

Please do not die now. Listen.
Yesterday, storm clouds rolled
out of the west like thick muscles.
Lightning bloomed. Such a sideshow
of colors. You should have seen it.
A woman watched with me, then we slept.
Then, when I woke first, I saw
in her face that rest is possible.
The sky, it suddenly seems
important to tell you, the sky
was pink as a shell. Listen
to me. People orbit the moon now.
They must look like flies around
Fatty Arbuckle's head, that new
and that strange. My fellow American,
I bought a French cookbook. In it
are hundreds and hundreds of recipes.
If you come to see me, I sh#t you not,
we will cook with wine. Listen
to me. Listen to me, my brother,
please don't go. Take a later flight,
a later train. Another look around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's by Leon Stokesbury.